Sunday, December 24, 2006

Hello Hello Hello


It has been almost two weeks since my last posting due to a very busy week studying for, taking, and FAILING the GRE. Yep, I said it – I failed the GRE (Hilariously, my friend Walter continues to refers to the test as the GED) – after a few months of barely studying, I received a score below what is required for acceptance into the grad school to which I have applied. So, no, I didn’t get a letter grade F, but I didn’t get the score required for my dream school, so I am quite disappointed. I did, however, learn an important lesson and that is that prayer does not trump laziness. I just have to get serious and take it again with a new attitude!

Nevertheless, I have returned to my blog to share with you the more positive experiences gained from my absence.

#1. Thank God for digital cable, primarily Music Choice: Smooth R&B(channel 408 in DC). I was once addicted to VH1 Soul, MTV Jams, and MTV Hits, but Music Choice has taken their place. I next to never listen to the radio, so music videos were the only way to for me to keep up with new songs, not to mention I LOVE music videos. However, when washing dishes, cleaning my room (/living room/closet/bathroom/dining room – I live in a studio; It’s all the same), watching videos is a major distraction. Smooth R&B plays classic songs from Levert, Freddie Jackson, Sade, Babyface, and Luther and mixes them with Jodeci, Brian McKnight, more than a decade of Mariah, and a little Van Hunt, Robin Thicke, and Tamia. It’s fantastic! BUT, they aren’t videos. It’s beautiful, because, in addition to hit singles, they play songs that were never released on the radio and never a video. That opens the door to so much more music! I find it absolutely relaxing and motivating at the same time. I can get things accomplished while I listen to the hits of my time (though I am an old soul, I used to listen to nothing but old school R&B in high school).

#2. EBay. I remembered my high regard for eBay this week. For those of you who go on eBay and buy clothes and shoes and even cars and such, more power to you. I haven’t been so lucky. It’s not that I have been taken advantage of, lost my money, or bought a disappointing product, as much as I am just majorly paranoid about Internet purchases and I don’t even let it get to the point where I lose money. However, when it comes to finding random stuff to tickle your fancy, eBay is not a bad way to go. As you know, I adore Tracee Ellis Ross...Well, I have the fall edition of Vibe Vixen Magazine with Ms. Ross on the cover. Of course, I bought it for the cover story, but I found the entire magazine insightful and full of fashion and lifestyle tidbits I want to remember (Shout out to the editors of Vibe Vixen for that). Certainly, I would never taint a magazine with Tracee Ellis Ross on the cover by tearing out pages, attaching post-it notes, etc, so I had to find another way. Low and behold, someone is selling the magazine on eBay, so I don’t have to rip mine up. Crisis averted, thanks to Mandu's Magazine Megastore.

Oh, and I must credit eBay with another pleasant surprise: Christmas on eBay! The desperation of the holiday season and the desire to find the perfect gift led me to search simply for the word Beyonce and see all of the unique items that come up. I can’t tell you what I found because it would give away a fabulous Christmas present, but thanks to t-shirtmecca , my best friend Shone can show that she is Beyonce’s number one fan.

Finally...
LADIES NIGHT?? NOPE, LADIES WEEKEND.

I would be purely negligent, if I did not mention Atlantic City. While everything cannot be done Sex and the City style, my girls and I did bring sexy back to the AC last weekend.
CJ: the VERY hardworking Howard University law student celebrating the end of her first semester.
Kim: the supermodel turned “let me finish school” undergraduate who leaves the AC a butterfly
Brooke: an overworked investment banker celebrating news that is too juicy to discuss on the Internet YET
Sidney LarShone: my fiesty little Brooklyn blonde turned fiesty little red head…from Brooklyn
Kayla: one quote: “Ohhh, you look like the married one.”

4 comments:

shone said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
shone said...

So...I got a Beyonce gift huh?? Is she coming to my apartment to tell me she loves me and that I, not Kelly, am her best friend?

2. My new hair color is totally not RED...more of a cinnamon brown

3. There are no pics of me in that slideshow...and the one that I did see...yuck...I have decided that my sexiness/fabulousness (lol) does not translate well in pics.

4. I love my best friend and her blog. She is SOOO talented!

Anonymous said...

The AC pics are cute. Tell Brooke she has been looking extra fab lately!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the ebay magazine tip. I just scored the '98 Vogues with Oprah and Hillary Clinton on the covers. Woo Hoo!