Wednesday, July 11, 2007

The Devil Gave Me Prada

The Date: Christmas morning, ‘06.
The Location: My living room in Texas
My gift from my mom: some basic black 1-inch Prada pumps for me. The thought was there but they were just not my style. I like high high heels…and she said I could exchange them….so, duh. It was a process though. It’s not like I could go to a department store and turn in my Prada pumps. She bought them through her stylist in Chicago, who got them from Prada in Chicago. So I had to send them to the Chicago store and wait for my credit to return. $375 – OK, everything at Prada is, like $400 plus, but whatever, it’s something. So, there’s no Prada in DC where I live, but it was cool, I go to New York all the time. Ugh! But then, I kept forgetting the credit receipt every time I went up there, so finally, 6 months later, someone suggested that I take it to LA since I had to go for a visit.

In June, I went to LA to try to obtain an apartment, meet some of my future classmates, and visit with my line sisters and friends. I was there for 5 days and had lots to do, but it was a priority to go to Prada. I had to use my credit! My friend, Candace, and I went to Prada minutes before closing because I had it in my head that I wanted this black wallet I had seen in Paris during fashion week. I wouldn’t have to spend much more than my credit, so if I couldn’t find anything else cheap, that’s what I’d get. Well, with some convincing from the salesgirl and Candace, I decided on this amazing vintage-looking clutch they just got in. It was a bit more than the wallet, but how often to I get a chance to buy Prada and not pay full price anyway?

Checking out, we were hurrying because the store was closing and I pulled out my credit card ready to pay the difference and be happy with my selection.
“Umm, you don’t owe us anything, and actually you still have some credit left.”
“Really?” I said, in complete disbelief, but I didn’t want them to renege. “Uhh, how much?”
“Like $200. I can’t look it up right now.”
With that, I slid out the door too scared to try and buy my wallet and risk Prada realizing they made a huge mistake. I was plotting my next trip already. The next day, I called to make sure their computer system still reflected my $200 plus credit and ran to the store as soon as I could. I got my wallet and I couldn’t believe it! A fabulous Prada clutch and adorable wallet for a grand total of approximately $1000…and I paid $200. $200! I was baffled and grateful all at once. Oh, and don’t tell anyone ☺


Look at my flyness when I carried the clutch to the BET Awards and afterparty. First of all, I LOVE this French Connection dress. It's perfect! I have worn it to a wedding, the BET Awards, and a presidential debate. (It's on sale now at French Connection.) Check out the pic of me, my hot dress, and my fabulous bag - and my proud stylist, Mark Gill.


Ibiza!!
On Friday, July 6th, the newest presence on the DC night scene opened its doors with a couple celebs and, of course, the fantastic ME. Ibiza, named for the popular and wild Spanish party island, had its grand opening with bright lights and a swarming crowd of thousands. All jokes aside, several of my friends are involved in the creation of Ibiza from financing to PR and promotion and I couldn't be more proud! We had a ball and I am sad to leave DC because I will miss the club's imminent growth and prosperity

No comments: